What are the Best Cat Feeders on the Market 2017?
Pet lovers all over the globe know just how vital a proper nutrition is. We do our best to choose the right type of food according to our kitty’s age and size. However, many cat owners feel have felt concerned over their pet’s eating behavior. Most people agree that cats are on average, picky eaters that ignore leftover food even when it is in perfect condition. This is why finding the best automatic cat feeder might be a good place to start if you are looking to solve the issue of improving your cat’s feeding and reducing the stress linked to cat-sitting when you are away from home.
**Below, you'll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
Choosing the Best Automatic Cat Feeder
Why do you need a Cat Feeder?
- Health Concerns
Leading vets have explained cat’s quizzical behavior in terms of “grazing”. Cats are not meant to graze –this is a typical herbivore habit. However, if you leave enough cat food out, your feline is bound to nibble on the dry leftovers. What’s the problem then?
First off, cats that feed on dry food will never feel satisfied. Secondly, if your pet spends too much time free-feeding, they are bound to become overweight, which will result in the development of potentially serious health issues.
- Waste Not, Want Not
On the other hand, there is a group of kitties that will not eat dry leftovers, thus forcing you to throw away leftover food, which is a waste. Experts have concluded that most felines eat based on smell. It is their olfactory sense what determines whether the cat will eat that food or not. This explains why so many kitties choose not to eat dry food.
Also, by using a feeder, the issue of cat food storage can also be solved more practically.
Lastly, an automatic cat feeder can contribute greatly to keeping order and cleanliness. Dry leftovers may attract insects, rodents or other types of unwanted pests. Besides, using this device can help prevent the unpleasant smell that is typical of wet cat food.
How an Automated Cat Feeder Contributes to Making your Life Easier
Households everywhere are now turning to automated cat feeders in order to make their pet-feeding process not only much easier, but also more sustainable.
This video shares some practical information can help you better understand how choosing the best automatic cat feeder might work for both your household and your pet.
How do automatic pet feeders work (Source: youtube.com)
What to look for when choosing an Automated Feeder
Power to Choose:
Finding an automatic cat feeder that allows users to program the feeding times without default intervals or default scheduled meals is a must. Since no one knows your pet as much as you do, you and you alone should be able to decide what sort of timetable works best for your feline and for you.
Also, being able to choose the portions will help you program in agreement with your cat’s needs and veterinary recommendations.
Lastly, the type of feeder you choose should be able to accommodate all types of food –dry kibbles, semi-wet or wet food. After all, you shouldn’t have to adapt your cat’s eating needs to the feeder, but the other way round.
This aspect is also vital. Not all feeders work equally well with all types of food. Find the device that will perform better with the kind of food you feed your cat. The key here is checking on the size of the kibble; if it is compatible with the dispenser, then you might want to give it a go. Otherwise, it would be best to keep looking for another model.
Determine Power Source:
Most models available on the market these days are either battery-operated or plugged. Unless you spend plenty of time at home, the plugged version is possibly the best since batteries tend to run out fast. Electrical feeders, on the other hand, are more reliable. Even if there was a power outage, these electricity-operated feeders would retain the programs and would go on dispensing food normally once the power has been restored.
This takes us to another issue: losing your programs after a change of battery or power outage. You might want to consider purchasing a feeder that retains all of this data, even
In the event of a power interruption. Programming your feeder over can be a burdensome and repetitive task.
Cam or no Cam?
If your pet spends lots of time alone, the best cat automatic feeder for you should have a webcam that will allow for close monitoring of your pet’s eating habits. These types of cameras are usually controlled remotely through devices, such as smartphones or tablets.
The Issue of Warranty
With so many gadgets being offered on the market, the issue of guarantee is a biggie. Make sure that the feeder you get has a guarantee at all. Then, check whether it works by refund or replacement. If it is the latter, find out about potential shipping costs. A good warranty should last at least a year. Having a reliable warranty would have been exactly what people like Lisa needed. She says that her feeder worked fine the first day and then stopped working altogether on the second day. Unfortunately, upon purchasing the product, she never paid any attention to the fine script concerning return or refund policies, which left her with a useless feeder that no longer works.
Check Out a Few of These Great Automatic Cat Feeders
Every product is a bit different. To help you in your quest for the best automatic cat feeder, we have picked the top ten products available on the market these days. Regardless of the size or age of your cat, we are certain that you will find the right product for your pet from this list.
Top 10 Best Automatic Cat Feeder Review
This all-in-one automatic pet feeder helps users optimize their cat-feeding experience. But above all, helps to narrow down the time spent on this chore to just a few minutes a day.
The Pet Safe Healthy Pet Simply is equipped with a patented anti-jam conveyor system that allows for quick and clean dispensing of dry and semi-moist food of various shapes and sizes.
Besides, pet owners who worry about the issue of gulping and vomiting might find an ally in this model. Thanks to the Slow Feed Mode, the Pet Safe is able to dispense meals greater than 1/8 cup over 15 minutes to help prevent gulping or vomiting.
- Easy assembly
- Clear and simple set up instructions
- Sanitary and long-lasting stainless steel bowl
- Easy to clean
- Programmable up to 12 meals a day
- Patented anti-jam conveyor system
- Immediate Feed Mode dispenses next scheduled meal instantly and Pause Feed Mode temporarily stops feeding without losing programmed feed schedule
- Pet-proof dispenser helps keep out prying paws and locking lid helps keep food fresh and secure
- Dishwasher safe parts
- US-based Customer care specialist consultation available six days a week for troubleshooting and assistance
- User interface is tricky to use
- 4 D batteries required (not included with product)
- Larger cats might tip over bowl and eventually stick their paws up the dispenser
- Bowl design is too deep
- Dispenser clogs with some kibble sizes
PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed (Source: Youtube.com)
This hassle-free, non-programmable feeder may be the answer to cat owners who want to avoid technology altogether. Offering a 100% user-friendly design, the Catit Senses 2.0 accommodates easily anywhere in your home.
This model is more than just a feeder as it also serves the purpose of an educational toy as it helps to stimulate the cat’s most innate senses by requiring the cat to work for its food with natural hunting and pawing behavior.
- Tried and tested with all types of cat temperaments
- Improved stability features
- Stimulates younger cats’ natural hunting instinct and abilities
- Helps older cats to get more exercise
- Prevents gobbling
- Provides 3 difficulty levels
- Also usable with small toys for further stimulation
- Sturdy and firm bowl collects stray pellets and prevents spillage
- Whisker-friendly design
- Not all cats adapt to the system
- Large cats are bound to tip the feeder over
- Kibbles may bounce off the bowl and cause a mess
Catit Senses 2.0 Food Tree (Source: youtube.com)
The Petmate Pet Cafe Feeder is a great choice for cat owners who are looking to balance a busy lifestyle with an eco-friendly attitude.
Affordable and easy to clean, this cat feeder is made with environmentally sustainable PET bottles. Therefore, it is lightweight and easily transportable.
You can rest assured that your kitties will be well-fed throughout the day, even while you are away.
- Easy to clean, dishwasher-friendly parts
- Recessed handle areas for easy lifting
- Bottom part accommodates all muzzle sizes
- Kibbles do not always automatically fall into the tray
- Lid is difficult to lift because there are no actual handles
- Top part fails to snap securely to the bottom
By using the latest cutting edge technological advances in communication, the Petnet Smart Feeder promises to take automatic cat feeding onto a whole new level.
As it is operated through smart phones, it allows users to have a permanent control over their kitties’ eating routine.
As for the feeding device itself, users will discover a good-quality, highly functional feeder that is widely adaptable to various food types.
- Feeding times, portion sizes, proper ingredients and even pet food delivery can be easily managed
- Device comes with a rechargeable backup battery
- Includes Smart Feeder, charger cable and user guide
- Wi-fi connectivity
- Allows for various portion and kibble sizes
- Design makes the slope of the bowl too gentle for swift dispensing
- The App may be challenging for those using an iPad
- When the bowl disconnects from the feeder, the device will shut itself down
- Users who need several units are unable to control them all with a same account
Petnet SmartFeeder for Cats and Dogs (Source: Youtube.com)
The Feed and Go is the only automatic pet feeder that works for both dry and wet food as well as medication.
This all-in-one pet feeder connects by Wi-Fi to your home network in less than one minute.
Additionally, users can set one time or regular schedules for unlimited Feed and Go devices from a single profile.
- The built-in webcam allows users to see pets from any Smartphone, iOS, Android or Windows
- Useful voice recording feature enforces pets’ response at mealtimes
- Top-quality materials
- The webcam allows owners to check whether their kitties have actually eaten
- The compartment is not 100% air-tight
- Feed will not last longer than 48 hours (24 is the average time) especially in warm temperatures
- May be too bulky for younger cats
Feed and Go Automatic Pet Feeder - The World's 1st Smart Pet Feeder (Source: Youtube.com)
The Crown Majestic is a dual-powered automatic feeder that will work either on 4 AA batteries, or the Supplied Power Adapter. Moreover, they can be used in conjunction with each other as backup.
Because of its simplistic programming options, users can set up various adjustments without much hassle.
Crown Majestic can be counted among some of the best priced automatic feeders available on the market these days.
- Backlit LCD displays the time and number of meals
- Custom fitted stainless steel tray included
- In case of power cuts, the battery backup will kick in, thus preventing meal-skipping of any kind.
- Large capacity allows for a bimonthly refill
- Does not work well with prescription diets
- Dispenser may eventually jam with smaller kibbles
- The user interface maybe pose a usage challenge
Crown Majestic Diamond Series V2 Automatic Pet Feeder - Best Pet Supplies Review (Source: Youtube.com)
You may not be that familiar with this type of model yet. However, do not let that keep you away from trying this interactive cat feeder that turns each meal into an educational game.
Made with high quality materials, the Northmate Catch Interactive Feeder has been designed to significantly prolong your cat’s feeding time, thus preventing any gobbling or gulping.
- 100% washable, dishwasher safe
- Comfortable, easy-to-handle size ( 9.1 x 10.6 x 3.1 inches)
- Recyclable packaging
- Helps to slow down fast eating habits
- Smaller cats may find the spikey edges too tall to tackle
- Some felines take a long time to learn how to use it: high frustration level
- Some companies will not give a 100% refund when returning the product
Cat on Northmate Green interactive feeder (Source: Youtube.com)
Pet owners who have opted for wet food usually find the issue of food maintenance more than challenging. On top of that, most automatic cat feeders have been designed to accommodate dry food.
The Cat Mate C20 2 Bowl 48 Pet Feeder is presented as a practical answer to all these inquiries. Thanks to its ice pack, the feeder allows for optimal food conservation for up to 48 hours.
- Sturdy, long-lasting materials
- Two Large Food Bowls each hold 450 grams (1 pound) wet Food
- Easy-clean, removable, dishwasher-proof lids and Bowls
- Included ice pack helps keep Food fresh
- Feeder may be easily attached to a removable wooden Board for stability
- 48 hour battery operated timer requires 1 x AA battery
- Serves 1 or 2 meals at the pets' normal meal times
- Two independent battery operated timers ensures continuous programming
- Unless secured, the feeder may be tipped over by large energetic kitties
- In very warm climates, wet food may last only up to 16-20 hours
- Warranty may become void if the feeder has been opened
Pet owners can now rest assured that their pets are getting enough drinking water, without worrying about its quality or maintenance.
The Drinkwell’s multi-tier design is optimal to cater for the needs of kitties of all ages. Whereas the top dish accommodates larger cats or senior arthritic pets, the bottom one is practical for smaller kittens.
Created by PetSafe®, a brand that has been an industry leading US manufacturer of pet behavior, containment and lifestyle products since 1991, this unit is designed to help improve pets’ lives nationwide.
- 100 ounce water capacity is great for pets of all sizes
- Free-falling stream entices pets to drink more water
- Includes replaceable carbon water filter that removes bad tastes and odors, keeping water fresh
- Low-voltage submersible pump for safe and quiet operation
- BPA-Free and top-shelf dishwasher safe
- Highly-qualified customer assistance six days a week
- Its open design allows for hair or debris to float in water
- Filter must be changed every two or four weeks
- Disassembly for cleaning may be challenging
How to Clean Your Drinkwell Fountain Pump by PetSafe® (Source: Youtube.com)
This simple, yet fully-programmable automatic cat feeder has been designed to help busy pet owners worry less about keeping up with a regular feeding schedule.
Made with top-quality materials the Cat Mate C3000 works with a wide range of food portions.
Parts are dishwasher-compatible and easy to clean.
- Consistent portion control
- Minimum feeding portion of 2 teaspoons (10g) upward
- Max 6.5lb capacity food hopper. Tamper-proof feed nozzle
- Easy to use programmable LCD control
- All food parts dishwasher safe
- Operates with 4 C cell batteries 6-9 months continuous use
- Feeder nozzle is too wide and cats may reach inside
- Small pellet food is bound to fall out
- The feeder may get loud at times
Cat Mate c3000 first time feeding (Source: Youtube.com)
Your ultimate goal as a cat owner is to find the best automatic cat feeder for your pets. This means that not all models presented here might make the cut as far as needs and wants are concerned.
As was mentioned earlier, the main reason you would want a feeder in the first place is to improve not only eating and health habits, but also improve hygiene and order. So these are possibly the most salient features you may need to pay close attention to when making your pick.
Even when all ten products reviewed above are of optimal quality, if we take into account the most relevant aspects of functionality and performance, our top choice is the Pet Safe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder.
This conclusion stems from the fact that this feeder is clearly the most reliable, user-friendly item on our list. Although many of the above reviewed items promise to automatically feed the pet, the only feeder to actually do this is the Pet Safe Health Pet Simply. Whereas other models skip feedings or allow for pets to get easy access to the food, this item is able to schedule up to 12 programmable feedings securely.
But the most widely sought-after feature valued by many users is the feeder’s patented, anti-jam conveyor system that allows for the feeder to dispense both dry and semi-moist food. This feature is vital for pet owners who need to accommodate different food types that include kibbles of all shapes and sizes. Unlike other similar models, such as the Cat Mate C3000 Automatic Dry Food Pet Feeder or the Feed and Go Automatic Pet Feeder with Built-in Webcam and Wi-Fi, that work only for either dry or wet food; this model can be used for several pets and throughout your cat’s entire life, regardless of its feeding necessities.
**Disclaimer: Our dog food reviews are based mostly on (1) our expertise and that of the experts with whom we consult and (2) the information provided by the manufacturers. We do test many dog foods (with our dog's help), but we can't test them all. As such, please remember the above recommendations are our opinions, and you should consult your vet before making changes to your dog's diet.
Image credits: Amazon.com