The Best Dog Beds For Labs And Large Dogs in 2017 Reviewed
Labrador Retrievers are special breeds. Known for their knack in retrieving felled game, they also happen to be popular among dog breeders and pet lovers. As such, labs need a place to lay and roll over playfully as the best gift we can give to our long time best friend.
Besides a collar, leash, and food and water, a good soft dog bed should top our shopping list for all dogs regardless of size, breed, or age. A good bed provides a dog with warmth comfort and a feeling of security. When a dog has a bed of his own, the rewards are invaluable.
Some of the benefits a dog bed offers your dog include: providing the warmth needed for both comfort and good health, its own private space and a sense of safety, nursing the bones and joints especially for adult, arthritic, or overweight dogs and trapping of fur and protecting the dog from injury that may result from roaming in an open unprotected space.
To aid you in finding the best bed for your tail-wagging best friend, I have the best five choices I sampled while getting one for my 125 lbs Labrador.
Quick Comparison of Some Good Choices
**Below, you'll see more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices and read customer's reviews on Amazon.
- Scroll down to read our review of each product.
Our Reviews of the Best Dog Beds for Labs 2017
My first encounter was the amazing Oscar Orthopedic Dog Bed. The bed offers the best relaxation and nursing cushion for elderly dogs or dogs with arthritis, joint pain or other physical discomforts. It comes in durable, double-sewn boxed edges with an appealing finishing. For longevity, I discovered that the bed can be reversed easily. It works perfectly outdoors due to its waterproof, thick microfiber fabric that reverses to soft sherpa panel. The cleaning bit needs little effort because it has an easily detached and machine-cleaned cover with a zipper. Made in the USA, the cushion measures +/- 2 inches.
- Despite the body size of your beloved pet, Happy Hounds Oscar Orthopedic Dog Bed, will fit perfectly and actually leave a few inches in width and length.
- It is feather-light in weight but don’t let that fool you. The 4 inches thickness of cushion and padding make it unbelievably sturdy and can’t shrink regardless of the weight of the dog.
- The soft material renders a therapeutic massage to the dog; especially if any physical uneasiness is experienced. Cleaning is easy due to its removable cover.
- My dog weighs 125 lbs and has minor cases of arthritis and hip dysplasia. She loves this bed. The large size allows her to move comfortably while enjoying the warm cushion. When shopping for the best dog beds for labs, comfort and flexibility should be the guiding light.
- After washing a few number of times, the seams got torn badly. Of course I can always stitch, but there’s fear that it will eventually come apart from use.
Happy Hounds is basically 2 sheets of egg crate mattress topper glued back to back with a zippered cover. This not only offers the cuddly feeling a dog so much needs, but it is also light and durable. Its neutral design appeals to the dog and has become her favorite chill spot. I will bet your bottom dollar that this is one of the best dog beds for labs in the market right now.
Happy Hounds Oscar Orthopedic Dog Bed (Source: Amazon.com)
Dogs love to chew stuff. I mean, that’s what their canines are for, right? It’s a tad frustrating to find your couch or that comfy bed you bought a couple of weeks ago in shreds.
The solution, therefore, would be to get a patented chew-proof dog bed. The strong PVC Kuranda bed makes teeth-marks and bits of foam a thing of the past. The walnut colored frame, legs and corners blend can be fused with any fabric color choice. The UV resistant finish on the frames won’t easily wear out regardless of regular cleaning. All the fasteners are stainless steel which gives not only the bed luster but also robustness.
However, the bed weight limit is 125lbs, regardless of size (which was appropriate for my dog by the way). For dogs above 125 pounds, the Kuranda All-Aluminum or Bronze Aluminum Dog Bed is recommended.
One last thing, the Walnut PVC is strictly for indoor use. This is because the Walnut frames when exposed to direct sunlight or high temperatures wear out fast. The dog bed is made in the USA and comes with a 1-year warranty.
- What makes this bed the best dog bed for labs is its ‘anti-chewing’ poly resin. This is also aided by the sliding of the fabric inside the frame which hides the edges of the fabric to discourage chewing.
- The smooth surface also ensures the liquid left when your pup pees, is easily dabbed away for easy cleaning.
- The fact that it is an indoor use dog bed makes it easier to clean and protect from outdoor weather hazards. It a great way of keeping an eye on your lab buddy.
- One thing I discovered is that if not well maintained and the dog weight limit not observed, the bed is likely to collapse after one year. Now, who wants to rob their lovely dog of their newly-found little heaven? Keep an eye on such details.
Kuranda Chew-Proof Dog Bed Review (Source: Amazon.com)
We know how big dogs can be a problem to maintain. Big Barker as the name suggests, is the remedy to accommodating large and extra-large breed dogs without the pressure of scoring for extra space in your household.
To accommodate large breeds, Big Barker dog beds are made of seven inches of finer quality; American Made therapeutic foam, a two inches layer of H10 Comfort Foam, a three inches middle layer of H45 Support Foam and a two inches layer of H10 Comfort Foam. These carefully thought-out features provide a big surface area to support every muscle of my big dog's body completely.
Big Barker is a proudly American-made product from a Northern California workshop.
- A unique bed designed for big dogs is a rare find. This feature alone places Big Barker on a pedestal when it comes to best dog beds for labs category.
- Another advantage for this lab dog bed is the easy cleaning and maintenance aspect. You can vacuum it and wipe it with a wet cloth and you're good to go without getting the cover off.
- The thick quality foams also ensure that the bed is still in good shape and perky for a long time without dents which would otherwise make sleeping for the dog uncomfortable.
- We all know how choosy our little friends can be at times. Because of Big Barker's warm foams, it becomes too hot for some dogs and some start avoiding sleeping on it. Furry breeds tend to exhibit such tendencies.
- The Big Barker is definitely a very high-quality bed, made for large and extra large dogs. However, to avoid disappointment, consider your big buddy's sleeping position first before buying the bed. You don’t want to put your dog in an awkward situation where it can’t toss and turn without an extra leg room.
Big bed for big dogs. How appropriate! Not only does this spare you the heartache of finding your dog slumped in the couch, it saves you money from buying beds that succumb to your big dog's weight. Cleaning is also very easy. Just remove the cover by unzipping around the sides. Then you can either use a washing machine or hand wash and hang in on the dry line, or use a drying machine using the lowest heat setting. The choice is yours.
Its durability is guaranteed.
Big Barker Dog Bed Review (Source: Youtube.com)
When looking for the best bed for your lovely lab pooch, consider these three factors: size, comfort, durability, and maintenance. The Brindle 4 Inch Solid Memory Foam comes with the whole package and more.
The cover is 100% waterproof and provides coverage against accidents and fluids.
The variety of color options: Khaki, Charcoal Black or Mocha Blue adds decor and style to your home. Different kennel sizes: Small (22 x 16 inches), Medium (34 x 22 inches) Large (46 by 28 inches) offers you the right size for your dog.
- The Brindle 4 dog bed has an overlay pad that protects the outer cover from wear. The cover has a zipper for easy removal thereby making your cleaning routine easy.
- It is easy to use, no doubt. Once you buy the bed, it expands without any effort to correct the bed shape or re-position the bed within the cover. It just works.
- The thick and firm foam of the bed is soft to the touch and this makes your dog lay without causing any collapsing or sagging in the middle. This offers the best orthopedic massage to dogs with arthritis.
- Another advantage is the size of the bed that allows enough room to stretch-out. Who doesn’t love watching their favorite pet roll and growl playfully in a sizeable bed?
- In as much as the bed is firm and doesn’t easily cave in due to its bouncy nature, there is no guarantee that the cover will stand a dog’s paws for long without forming a hole. Too bad that Brindle 4 Inch Solid Memory Foam Orthopedic Dog Bed doesn't sell replacement covers. You have little choice but to buy an entirely new bed to get a new cover.
What I find interesting with this bed is the fact that it’s almost an instant cure for arthritis and generally bone and joint problems. Watching your dog transform from a limping forlorn friend to a happy puppy sprinting out of bed is one of the most fulfilling moments in life.
Brindle Solid Memory Foam Orthopedic Dog Bed Review (Source: Youtube.com)
The 52-inch Chocolate Bagel Style Pet Dog Bed is a proud product of Majestic Pet Products. The width and length dimensions and a thickness of 14 inches cushion, the bed offers nothing but comfort and serenity to your pet.
The Chocolate Bagel is waterproof while the Bolster and Cushion are durable with a Super Premium High Loft Polyester Fiber Fill. It is machine-washable and air dried. Recommended for extra large dogs (70 to 110-pounds), the Suede Bagel allows your furry friend to slumber luxuriously in a plush heavy duty denier.
The cover is constructed microsuede and premium high-loft polyester fiberfill which guarantees durability. The polyester fill can be recycled, and as such, an environmentally-friendly product is suitable for domestic use. USA-made, the bed, can perfectly work in any room.
Not to burden you with further details, you just need to buy one and see the benefits for yourself.
- One thing that sets this bed apart is the two zippers that a friend inquired about. One zipper is for taking out the center pillow and one the other is for removing the long "sausage" pillow. It is easy to remove and put back on.
- When buying a bed for your dog, do you consider other dogs as well? The 52 inches Bed from Majestic Pet Products makes it comfortable to fits all the three dogs while leaving enough room for the dogs to curl and stretch. If you are looking for a reason why 52-inch Chocolate Bagel Style Pet Dog Bed is the best bed for lab dogs, there you have it!
- Unlike other dog beds, the 52-inch Chocolate Bagel Style Pet Dog Bed has no removable cover. While the two separate pieces can fit your washing machine, washing one at a time is recommended. It requires numerous washes to retain the brand new look.
- After cleaning, the bed is likely to get clumped together and the two pieces would separate while the dog is sleeping. Some dogs may not go back to the same bed after getting accustomed to the soft feel during the first few weeks before washing.
- The crevices also tend to collect dirt particles that may accumulate and cause hygiene concerns. You just have to regularly check and clean to solve this small problem.
I would recommend this bed for proud dog owners like myself who truly care for elderly dogs that need a comfortable place to relax their old joints. The donut shape of the pillow around the edge gives the dog a place to rest his head. So choose any color you prefer. The beauty with this bed is that you can place it comfortably near your bed and watch your furry friend snuggle beside you. A happy dog makes a happy owner.
52 inch Sage Suede Bagel Dog Bed By Majestic Pet Products Review (Source: Youtube.com)
When buying a bed for my dog, not only did I want the bet gift for my long time friend, I also wanted to offer my extension of unconditional love in return. I always viewed a dog bed as holding something delicate in the palms of my hand. I visualized a bed that would offer my dog warmth, comfort, and love. Therefore when buying the best bed for your dog, consider this: the shape, size, texture, flexibility and durability.
Dig this post? Here's another good one on feeding your Dog Food for Pitbulls.
**Disclaimer: Our dog food reviews are based mostly on (1) our expertise and that of the experts with whom we consult and (2) the information provided by the manufacturers. We do test many dog foods (with our dog's help), but we can't test them all. As such, please remember the above recommendations are our opinions, and you should consult your vet before making changes to your dog's diet.
Image credits: Amazon.com